Advice (Noun) Part I - Sukrisno Nino
News Update
Loading...

28 Juli 2019

Advice (Noun) Part I


Advice (Noun)


An opinion that someone offers you about what you should do or how you should act in a particular situation
decided to follow her advice and go to bed early.
The centre provides expert advice for people with financial problems

Advice = Nasihat
Advise = Menasihati

Asking for advice
What do you think I should do?

What do you recommend we do about ... ?

What should I do?
What do you suggest?
What would you advise us to do?
What do you advise me to do?
If you were me what would you do?
What ought I to do?
Do you think that I should…?
Do you have any suggestions? 
What would you do about ...? 


Giving advice
If I were you I would/wouldn’t….

If I were in your shoes/position I would…

You had better/ you’d better…..
You should…
Maybe you should… 
Your only option is to….
Why don’t you….
Have you thought about….
Have you tried…
I would recommend that you ... 
My advice would be to ... 
May I suggest that we ...
If I were you, I would ...


Accepting advice
Yes, I agree with that.

That sounds like a good idea!

I don't think that's a good idea. 
OK, why don't we do that.
That's very interesting.  


Rejecting advice 
I'm sorry, i can't agree with that. 

I don't think we should do that. 

That's very interesting, but ...
I don't know what to advise, I'm afraid.
I wish I could suggest something, but I can't.
I wish I could help.
I'm afraid I can't really help you.


1. Menggunakan modal auxiliaries "Must, Ought to, and Should"
·         You must take care of yourself carefully!
·         You ought to write a letter to me not to her.
·         You should study hard.
          You should do more exercise.

·         You should do your exercise
·         You should leave her
·         You ought to do more exercise.
·         You ought not to drink so much beer.
·         You ought to stay here with me.
·         You ought to leave now, it's already late.


2. If I were you I should + verb
·         If I were you I should work at the hospital.
·         If I were you I should take an English course.

3. You had better + verb
·         You had better brush your teeth.
             You had better refuse this job.

4. Why don't you + verb...
·         Why don't you sit down beside me?
·         Why don't you go home now?
Membuat kalimat advice menjadi sebuah pertanyaan
Untuk membuat saran yang tidak terlalu blak-blakan, kita bisa menggunakan pertanyaan untuk membuat orang yang kita nasihati mempertimbangkan saran yang kita berikan kepada mereka.
·         Why don't you drink your medicine?
·         Why don't you go to school today?
·         How about going to the cinema this weekend?
·         How about leaving him some money?

5. It's time you + verb 2 ( past form)
·         It's time you told the truth.
·         It's time you stopped smoking

6. Tempatkan diri kalian pada posisi orang tersebut
Jika seseorang meminta saranmu, tak ada salahnya untuk membayangkan diri kalian berada dalam posisi orang tersebut. Ini adalah cara yang baik untuk menjelaskan saran.
·         If I were you, I wouldn't eat that.
·         I would be careful if I were you.
·         I would go to the doctor if I were you.
·         I wouldn't go there if I were you.
·         If I were you, I would study more.

7. Membuat saran
Saran atau rekomendasi adalah cara lain yang baik untuk memberi nasehat. Kalian bisa menggunakan kata 'suggest' atau 'recommend' seperti pada contoh di bawah ini.
·         I would suggest doing more exercise.
·         I would recommend doing more exercise.

8. Memberitahu advice tersebut dengan tegas
Terkadang, kalian perlu memberi saran lebih tegas agar pendengar tahu bahwa itu sangat penting. Kita bisa menggunakan ungkapan 'you had better...' 
·         You had better be here before we start dinner.
·         You had better not forget Tom's birthday gift.
·         You had better not be late.
·         You had better unplug the toaster before you try to clean it.
·         You had better not drink so much beer or you will get fat.


Source:

Share with your friends

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done