Expression Wish and Hope - Sukrisno Nino
News Update
Loading...

15 Agustus 2018

Expression Wish and Hope




Hope and Wish
A. Definition
Wish:
Regarding Oxford Dictionary, wish means: 
VERB
  • 1.      (no object) Feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that cannot or probably will not happen.
  • 2.      (with infinitive) Want to do something.
  • 3.      Wish someone/something on (with object and negative) Hope that (someone) has to deal with someone or something undesirable.

Noun
A desire or hope for something to happen.

Hope:
Regarding Oxford Dictionary, Hope means:

Verb
Want something to happen or be the case.

Noun
A feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen.
Archaic A feeling of trust.

B. Meaning
It is easy to say that Wishes are for genies. Hopes are for the dreamers.
We can say, hope means something which is possible and probable and wish means something which is not likely to happen or something which is impossible. 

- Hope untuk mengungkapkan sesuatu yang kita inginkan, dan itu “MUNGKIN” terjadi.
Example: I hope you have a great day.

-Wish untuk mengungkapkan sesuatu yang kita inginkan , akan tetapi secara realitasnya itu “TIDAK MUNGKIN” terjadi. Or sometimes wish is used in greeting and expressions of goodwill.
I wish I had 3 Cars, Lamborghini. (In reality, I don’t have 3 Cars Lamborghini now, but I want 3 Cars Lamborghini).

C. Pattern
- Wish Patterns:
1.      Wish + Past Tense
Ketika kita menggunakan Wish + Past Tense, meaningnya bukan membicarakan peristiwa masa lalu, akan tetapi konteknya Wishing. Kita boleh menggunakan semua jenis past tense baik simple, continuous, future dan perfect.
Exampe: I wish I could play the piano
(In reality, I cannot play piano, but I want to)

2.      Wish + Past Perfect Tense
Pattern ini, kita menggunakannya untuk membicarakan atau menulis sesuatu penyesalah yang kita miliki dari masa lalu.
Example: I wish I had not gone to the party.
(In reality, I went to the party, and now I regret it)

3.      Wish + Would (not) + Infinitive
Pattern ini digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang kejadian atau situasi yang sering terjadi dalam hidup kita dan kita tidak menyukainya.
Example: I wish my students would not play their music so loudly.
(in reality, my students play their music loudly and I do not like it)

4.      Wish + Noun
Pattern ini untuk membicarakan hal-hal yang kita inginkan untk orang lain.
Example: Wish me luck on my National Exam.
(The meaning Please hope that I have good luck on my National Exam)

5.      Wish + to Infinitive
Wish disni berarti Want, yang berarti menyatakan want dalam versi yang sangat formal.
Example: I wish to see your teacher right way.

6.      Wish + Object + to Infinitive
Example: I wish these students to leave from my class.

7. Wish + Somebody + Something
This is used mostly in set phrases.
Example: They wish him a Eid Mubarak.

- Hope Patterns:
We usually need to use '(that) + clause' after 'hope' or 'to + infinitive'.
Example:  I hope that you have a great time.
We can also use two short answers: 'I hope so' and 'I hope not'. 

1.     Hope + Simple Present Tense
Example: I hope (that) It is sunny where you are.

2.     Hope + Present Continuous
Example: I hope that Dea is having a wonderful time.

3.     Hope + Present Future
Example: I hope that Siti will come to the school tomorrow.

4.     Hope + Can
Example: I hope Mr Nino can come to the class tomorrow.

5.     Hope + to Infinitive
Means likely “CAN”
Example: I hope to come to the class tomorrow = I hope I can come to the class tomorrow

6.     Hope + Past tense
We use this pattern to talk about the past and it was possible for the thing to really happen.
Example: I hope she passed the exam.
      I hoped you would pass the exam. (But you didn't pass).

7.     Hope for negative wishes
It's also possible to use 'hope' in a very negative way. In this case, the thing doesn't need to be possible.
Example: I hope your hair falls out and you lose all your money!


Contoh Dialog Pertama:
A: Hello Anna, will you come to Rita’s house tonight?
B: I am afraid I can’t.
A: Why? Do you wanna go to with your boyfriend?
B: No, my father is sick. I have to make sure that somebody can take him care before I go.
A: I am so sorry to hear that and I hope your father gets better as soon as possbile.
B: Thank for your hope.
A: You’re welcome Anna.


Contoh Dialog Kedua:
A: What’s going on? You look sad.
B: Nothing.
A: Tell me, I know that you are having a trouble.
B: Would you like to listen?
A: I always be here.
B: My father has a debt, a very big debt, and we must pay it next week.
A: Oh my God. I wish your family can fix this soon.
B: Thank you.
A: No problem.

Contoh Dialog Ketiga:
A: Do you know the man sitting over there?
B: Yes, he is the buthcer.
A: I heard a sad story from him.
B: What is that? Would you like to tell me?
A: But you have to keep this secret.
B: Yes I will.
A: My father is doctor and the butcher checked his health to my father.
B: And then?
A: My father told me that the butcher has a cancer in his lung.
B: Really?
A: Yes, and the butcher doesn’t want his family know this, so that’s why I asked you to keep this secret.
B: Oh my God. Let’s hope for the best. He is a good man.

Contoh Dialog Keempat:
(on the phone)
A: I couldn’t find you at school yesterday.
B: Of course, I didn’t come.
A: Really? Why?
B: I was sick. I got a fever and my father brought me to the hospital to check whether I got dengue fever or not.
A: And then? It’s negative, right?
B: Yes, but I am still sick right now.
A: I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.
B: Thank you. I hope so.

Contoh Dialog Kelima:
A: What I really want is to have a car.
B: Buy it now. Your father is a rich man. You’d be easy to ask a car.
A: No. I don’t want. I wish I can buy it by my money.
B: I don’t believe you can do that.
A: I will prove it. Next year this dream will come true.
B: Yeah, I wish.

Contoh Dialog Keenam:
A: Tomorrow my lil brother will celebrate his birthday.
B: Good. I hope he has a nice birthday party.
A: Thank you. You should come.
B: I am sorry, I can’t go anywhere tomorrow.
A: You have a job in your home?
B: Yes, there will be my cousin and my mother ask me to take him care.
A: Oh I see. Ok no problem.

1. Choose the following sentences which expression of Hope .....
a. I need a nice house
b. I would like to have a nice house
c. I wish I had a nice house
d. I like a nice house

2. Faiz   : What’s up? You look so sad.
Rizki : My brother got sick and he is still hospitalized
Faiz   : That’s too bad. I’m so sorry to hear that. How is he now?
Rizki : He is getting better now
Faiz   : Oh, ………….
Rizki : I hope so

The suitable expression to complete the dialogue above is……
a. I hope he will get well soon
b. I hope he looks so sad
c. I hope he is still hospitalized
d. I hope he gets sick

3. Look at the picture and choose the best wish..
*my friend is sick*
a. congratulation on your sickness
b. Get Well Soon, my friend
c. Why are you sick?
d. Don't be sick


 Resources: 
http://www.ef.co.id/englishfirst/englishstudy/perbedaan-wish-dan-hope.aspx 
https://www.allearsenglish.com/aee-173-wish-vs-hope-english-whats-difference/ 
Wish dan Hope – https://englishhelponline.me/2010/03/03/the-difference-between-words-wish-and-hope/ 
https://setetestinta.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/make-a-wish-or-make-a-hope/

Share with your friends

Notification
This is just an example, you can fill it later with your own note.
Done